Toledo, Ohio, United States
Lead Digital Developer/AnalystJob ID 53302
Owens Corning is committed to building market leading businesses that are global in scope and also connect with our customers on a human scale. These customers span diverse businesses and categories that include residential & commercial building materials, protective packaging, composite materials that are transforming clean energy production and sustainable construction practices.
We recognize a need to assist our customers in making their transition to digital and leveraging our new tools to grow their businesses. Our distributors and retail customers are pushing into eCommerce while our channel partners and contractors are trying to improve the digital experience on their websites. Both of them are struggling to get data easily from manufacturers, and simple integrations to provide helpful functionality is very limited in our market.
To address these needs, within our Owens Corning Information Technology team (Global Information Systems) we have dedicated resources to build a digital center of excellence. This team is made up of diverse skillsets, roles and unique perspectives that allow us to research, design, build and experiment with tools that we hope customers will find useful, usable and delightful. These digital offerings connect our customers and partners to our products, services, solutions and talent; making it simple and easy for the customer to choose OC – driving an increase in engagement, loyalty, retention, and sales.
Since it’s inception our internal digital team has built a suite of enterprise digital products that support each business in:
- driving awareness of our company’s material difference with our markets and customers
- engaging and listening to our users and customers as they define their problems
- providing just the right information needed for a user to consider the right solution, spanning multiple audiences with varying technical expertise (i.e. from first time homeowners to commercial architects)
- building loyalty and advocacy with our valued customers, making it easier for them to grow their businesses
In partnership with our Marketing, Sales, Supply Chain, Customer Service, Manufacturing and Product Management teams these digital products (responsive websites, apps, API’s, etc.) have evolved over the last five years through agile development. In our current state, we complete over 20,000 hours of internal research, design and developed feature enhancements to our core market facing digital products & platforms. Some examples of these products include our primary marketing channel (www.OwensCorning.com); our direct customer portal for tracking orders, documents, claims and self-service; our contractor & professional portal for connecting our indirect channel partners to our products, programs, rewards, leads, and installation information; and our sales effectiveness platform and product information platform. These products are driving growth at Owens Corning and continue to transform our connection with our customers and channel partners.
This role focuses on leading a group of developers that are dedicated to the digital center of excellence. These developers operate on multiple products with detailed product backlogs. Work is most often performed via an agile iterative development approach leveraging cloud tools to plan the work, coordinate the teams and manage the codebase. We expect the role to stay in touch with the trends and solutions available in the market, and coorindate partnerships with key talent and technology providers in our industry.
The primary function of this role will be to build and maintain the health of our developer talent pool, ensuring we have the diverse skills and thought leadership on the team that we need to assist the product owners in delivering their vision. This talented pool of front end and back end developers, DevOps experts and architects will balance building fast, with building the right way and making sure we are building the right thing.
This role is also a key influencer for our broader Marketing, Sales, Customer Service, Supply Chain, Manufacturing and Product Management teams and provides insights and thought leadership early and often. We hope to inject digital thinking into the business problems we face and assist our stakeholders in understanding what is possible.
Span of Control: Team Lead
Build Owens Corning’s digital talent pool and advance our digital mastery
- Lead and assist with talent acquisition and assessment
- Includes assigning and analyzing candidate cde challenge submissions
- Drafting rle descriptions and details on technical needs across multiple programming domains
- Accountable for managing relationships with local and global talent providers / partners
- Manage weekly and daily calls as needed
- Reprt out on talent health and constructive feedback for our partners
- Leads cntractor talent acquisition with vendor partners
- Lead and assist with technical triage (i.e. which bad code merge broke the site?)
- Includes fcus on site and database performance and capacity planning
- Cntinually manage technical debt looking for opportunities for debt reduction
- Working with the team assess and categorize work across major disciplines
- Frnt End Development – ensuring ur apps and websites perform and display optimally across all end user devices
- Back End Develpment – cnnecting our presentation layers to the data layer and instrumenting persistence, business logic, service / API calls
- DevOps – ensuring ur cloud infrastructure is optimized for continuous 24x7x365 operation with deployments and testing optimized to match the developer workflow
- Analytics – cordinating work with our digital analytics group to instrument our digital products to collect information on usage and user experience
- Architecture – ensuring we are building reusable slutions with a service oriented architecture mindset, with a balanced amount of technical debt
- Intake and management new work to include estimation, complexity assessment, MVP analysis
- Align with the develpment team during agile ceremonies on technical / architectural approach
- Assist with estimates and time tracking
- Review f completed code for opportunities, security, completeness and innovative techniques
- Operate as a player cach for other developers, answer technical questions and remove blocks
- Code! Inspire! Accomplish!
- Always have fun! Encurage the team to solve customer problems quickly by getting our first draft out fast; enabling our customers to contribution to the next version.
- Bachelors Degree in computer science is preferred
- 7+ years working with one or more web development languages (.NET, Java, Ruby on Rails, PHP, etc.)
- Proficiency with version control tools and user story management tools (e.g., Git, Bitbucket, JIRA, Scrumworks, etc. )
- Experience with APIs, both building and consuming SOAP, REST, ODATA, or GraphQL
- Experience with distributed systems and application development
- Experience with AWS including EC2, RDS, S3, Cloudfront.
- Familiar with Solr or Elasticsearch.
- Work experience dealing directly with internal customers or external partners
- Experience working with Microsoft Dyanmics is a plus
- Experience with databases such as Oracle, SQL Server, Postgres, MySQL, etc and how to optimize them.
- Experience working in an Agile or Scrum environment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to work in team setting, with multiple developers contributing to an application
- Ability to give attention to detail and code for maintainability
- Excellent problem solving and debugging skills, excellent analysis and estimation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral #LI-KJ1
- Effectively asks questions and understands complexities of the working environment so estimation and work efforts are focused and accurate, able to tailor communications to multiple audiences (technical and non-techy)
- Understands product delivery processes and adheres to standards, guidelines and team practices
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.