Lead Digital Analyst Developer
Location: Toledo, Ohio - United States
The Lead Digital Developer focuses on leading a group of developers that are dedicated to the digital center of excellence. These developers operate on multiple products with detailed product backlogs. Work is most often performed via an agile iterative development approach leveraging cloud tools to plan the work, coordinate the teams and manage the codebase. We expect the role to stay in touch with the trends and solutions available in the market, and coordinate partnerships with key talent and technology providers in our industry. The primary function of this role will be to build and maintain the health of our developer talent pool, ensuring we have the diverse skills and thought leadership on the team that we need to assist the product owners in delivering their vision. This talented pool of front end and back end developers, DevOps experts and architects will balance building fast, with building the right way and making sure we are building the right thing. This role is also a key influencer for our broader Marketing, Sales, Customer Service, Supply Chain, Manufacturing and Product Management teams and provides insights and thought leadership early and often. We hope to inject digital thinking into the business problems we face and assist our stakeholders in understanding what is possible.
At Owens Corning, our award-winning Global Information Services (GIS) organization is driving our company’s vision of global growth. GIS is ranked number 2 – large companies in IDG Computerworld’s 2018 “Top places to work in IT, “ and is on the CIO Magazine Top 100. Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a market-leading innovator that has placed on the Fortune 500®. Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our three business segments while striving to ensure our people and products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. A holistic sense of community exists across our entire organization as our talent grows globally. We are a company that fully recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride within each and every employee, we aspire to build market-leading businesses; global in scope - human in scale.
Reports to: Director, Customer COE
Span of Control: 3-4 Direct Reports
Build Owens Corning’s digital talent pool and advance our digital mastery
- Lead and assist with talent acquisition and assessment
- Includes assigning and analyzing candidate code challenge submissions
- Drafting role descriptions and details on technical needs across multiple programming domains
- Accountable for managing relationships with local and global talent providers / partners
- Manage weekly and daily calls as needed
- Report out on talent health and constructive feedback for our partners
- Leads contractor talent acquisition with vendor partners
- Lead and assist with technical triage (i.e. which bad code merge broke the site?)
- Includes focus on site and database performance and capacity planning
- Continually manage technical debt looking for opportunities for debt reduction
- Working with the team assess and categorize work across major disciplines
- Front End Development – ensuring our apps and websites perform and display optimally across all end user devices
- Back End Development – connecting our presentation layers to the data layer and instrumenting persistence, business logic, service / API calls
- DevOps – ensuring our cloud infrastructure is optimized for continuous 24x7x365 operation with deployments and testing optimized to match the developer workflow
- Analytics – coordinating work with our digital analytics group to instrument our digital products to collect information on usage and user experience
- Architecture – ensuring we are building reusable solutions with a service oriented architecture mindset, with a balanced amount of technical debt
- Intake and management new work to include estimation, complexity assessment, MVP analysis
- Align with the development team during agile ceremonies on technical / architectural approach
- Assist with estimates and time tracking
- Review of completed code for opportunities, security, completeness and innovative techniques
- Operate as a player coach for other developers, answer technical questions and remove blocks
- Code! Inspire! Accomplish!
- Always have fun! Encourage the team to solve customer problems quickly by getting our first draft out fast; enabling our customers to contribution to the next version.
- Bachelors Degree in computer science is preferred
- 7+ years working with one or more web development languages (.NET, Java, Ruby on Rails, PHP, etc.)
- Proficiency with version control tools and user story management tools (e.g., Git, Bitbucket, JIRA, Scrumworks, etc. )
- Experience with APIs, both building and consuming SOAP, REST, ODATA, or GraphQL
- Experience with distributed systems and application development
- Experience with AWS including EC2, RDS, S3, Cloudfront.
- Familiar with Solr or Elasticsearch.
- Work experience dealing directly with internal customers or external partners
- Experience working with Microsoft Dyanmics is a plus
- Experience with databases such as Oracle, SQL Server, Postgres, MySQL, etc and how to optimize them.
- Experience working in an Agile or Scrum environment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to work in team setting, with multiple developers contributing to an application
- Ability to give attention to detail and code for maintainability
- Excellent problem solving and debugging skills, excellent analysis and estimation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
- Effectively asks questions and understands complexities of the working environment so estimation and work efforts are focused and accurate, able to tailor communications to multiple audiences (technical and non-techy)
- Understands product delivery processes and adheres to standards, guidelines and team practices #LI-KJ1
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.