Toledo, Ohio, United States
Business EconomistJob ID 53189
The Corporate/Business Economist provides business and finance leaders with quantitative and qualitative analysis of markets and economic data supporting, Strategy, Forecasting, Planning, M&A activity and Market Insights.
Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a market-leading innovator, devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our three business segments while striving to ensure our people and products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. Our company fully recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride within each employee, we aspire to build market-leading businesses; global in scope - human in scale.
Reports to: Corporate Development Leader
Span of Control: Individual contributor
Lead and support market insight generation in a way that results in data driven and risk balanced decision making.
- Drive analysis of economic (macro and financial) and industry data provided to senior leaders for strategic, long term and operations planning using tools such as Stata, R, Matlab, SAS, and/or Microsoft Excel etc.
- Produce, communicate and present analysis (econometric, economic, statistical) that extracts key insights and quantifies potential risks to the performance our businesses.
- Design and maintain standard reports to update the Executive Committee and senior Corporate and Business Leaders on the state of the global economy with a focus on the sectors key to our businesses performance.
Support long range strategic planning, operations planning and financial forecasting by providing insight into industry and broader economic trends and risks.
- Develop forecasts and planning recommendations for senior business leadership, the CFO, and the VP of Corporate Strategy and Financial Planning.
Demonstrate analytical expertise of industry, financial and economic data.
- Be a trusted advisor to senior leadership and business leaders through excellence in defining the problem/question, identifying the hypotheses, subsequent analysis, identification of risks, and risk measurement.
- Partner across businesses and functions to incorporate outside-in thinking and analytical rigor to market-based decision making.
Lead process improvement by continually increasing the team’s quality of work and efficiency.
- Drive focus on value added analysis by automating routine processes and eliminating redundancies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Economics, Statistics, Finance or related field with at least 2 years of experience.
- Master’s degree in Mathematics, Economics, Statistics, Finance, Operations Research or related field.
- Proficiency and expertise in at least 2 of the following modeling methods/procedures: linear programming, Monte Carlo simulation, error correction, propensity score matching, Diff-in-Diff, panel data, multi-level, dynamic/stochastic programming, ARIMA and/or SARIMA.
- Exceptional organization and communication skills, particularly possessing the ability to translate complex concepts into simple/elegant insights.
- Two plus years of experience programming in Stata, R, Matlab, or SAS.
- Thorough knowledge of governmental data sources relating to consumer spending and financials, and housing indicators.
- Background in experimental design, hypothesis testing or demand modeling and forecasting
- Strong inductive and deductive problem-solving skills.
- Programming in Python, VB or other object oriented or scripting language preferred.
- Knowledge of relational database design and SQL preferred.
- One to three years of experience in econometric modeling (identification and testing), forecasting, economic analysis and reporting and/or market analysis and reporting.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to combine analytical reasoning, creativity and judgment. Quick study, able to handle complex matters, with multiple initiatives going on simultaneously. Able to deal with strategic issues, as well as tactical operational details.
- Recognizes issues, problems, or opportunities and determines whether action is needed. Gets input as to appropriate action by formulating a clear picture of decision criteria and evaluates options by considering implications and consequences. Willingness to introduce risk thoughtfully and apply business judgment and take accountability for the quality and application of the analysis.
- Naturally curious, leading one to seek knowledge about people and things that stretch beyond one’s own work environment. Thrives in a dynamic work environment, where new subject matter is learned and quickly put into practice. An information “sponge” – constantly absorbing new methods, technologies and approaches that will deliver our goals.
- Energetic and resourceful, with strong service orientation and positive can-do attitude. Fully committed to the job and to deliver outstanding work. Never satisfied with status-quo, continually striving for excellence.
- Ability to respond quickly to the demands of the moment. A flexible person who can stay productive when the demands of work pull in many different directions at once. Maintaining effectiveness in a variety of environments.
- Demonstrates a strong self-awareness of one’s strengths, development needs, and the impact of ones’ own behaviors on others; consistently takes actions to be better.
- Strategic influencer. Ability to build relationships and drive alignment through intellect, interpersonal and negotiation skills and functional competence.
- Change agent. Comfortable designing for the future. Able to anticipate risks and propose practical plans to mitigate them.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.