Location: Summit, Illinois - United States
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Roofing Operations Leader has oversight for the efficient manufacturing operations, as it relates to safety, employee support and engagement, quality product manufacturing, and cost control.
Reports to: Plant Leader
Span of Control: Position is responsible for direct leadership of 4 employees and indirect leadership of approximately 50 primary employees.
Aligns with the Roofing business goals.
- Develops and achieves personal objectives that stretch self and align to the department, plant, site, division and company goals
- Provides expertise on all department operating, process control, and emergency procedures.
- Leads change and continuous improvement efforts in support of the work team and facility objectives.
- Understand the methods of maximizing operational uptime and work with primary personnel on the shifts to maintain peak efficiency.
- Issues corrective action and implement performance improvement plans, as needed.
- Oversees the training and development of production team
- Resources operations and projects, as needed.
- Provides robust communications of all plant initiatives and performance expectations.
- Is a positive change agent encouraging and closely involved in JIPM Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) efforts
- Minimizes costs on shift through efficient use of short-life parts.
- Maintains equipment to promote efficient operations.
- Maintains complete and accurate personnel records.
- Administers defined company and facility policies and practices.
- Manages employee performance through daily interactions and annual performance reviews and individual engagement plans.
- Assigns and coordinate all work taking place in the Operations area
- Ensures Operator training materials are maintained up to date through routine audit and management of change process input to Training and Development (T&D) Pillar Leader when changes occur in process settings, equipment, etc.
- Uses Lean/Kaizen tools to drive improved productivity and plant performance
- Ensures the safe manufacture of a quality product in accordance with schedule requirements
- Creates accurate, timely, and meaningful management reports
Accountable for employee safety.
Each employee is expected to support the overall safety goals of the facility: To protect and enhance the environment, health and safety of our employees, contractors, suppliers, neighbors and customers by engaging all employees in the EH&S process. The incumbent is responsible for:
- Implementing a safety culture that exemplifies our stand that “All accidents are preventable”.
- Fostering a safe, clean and environmentally compliant work area (routine housekeeping inspection, etc.)
- Reporting all accidents and near misses
- Modeling the appropriate safe work practices and prioritizing safety above all other metrics
- Holding others accountable for working safely and engaging actively in safety initiatives to maintain a zero- incident culture
- Owning a plan that identifies hazards and housekeeping; ensuring the plant is always in a clean, customer tour-ready state
- Operating under the premise that “Our Commitment to Safety is Unconditional”
- Participating in work area self-inspections and accident investigations and recommending corrective actions to make the workplace safer
- Refusing to operate any defective, questionable, or homemade equipment / tools
Demonstrate the commitment to build an exceptional workplace environment; fostering open communication, employee engagement, and inclusion.
- Actively manages the continued training, development and growth of all personnel. Ensures technical competence of employees.
- Develops front line leadership staff to ensure all operate consistent with 100% Leader ideals.
- Encourages a culture of data-driven decision making
- Takes appropriate corrective action and works with employees to investigate/resolve quality, reliability and process related issues.
- Sets clear expectations of performance and establishes, communicates and regularly reviews commitments to make certain milestones are achieved as planned
- Audits daily to ensure data accuracy of all inputs (e.g. check sheets, layered process audits, computer inputs, etc.)
- Demonstrates professional and motivating communication skills to recognize and bring out the best in each employee
- Fully understands and complies with all applicable labor management agreements.
- Ensures Production foremen on each shift perform value-added daily huddles that enhance safety, quality, and wellness and optimized quality and productivity.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Engineering, Operations Management, Business Management, Supply Chain Management, Industrial Manufacturing, or similar degree preferred)
- Progressive experience directly leading people in an industrial manufacturing or operations environment is strongly preferred
- Three to five years supervisory experience in leading a manufacturing environment
- Experience with and working knowledge of SAP or similar ERP
- Prior manufacturing experience, specifically in building materials preferred
- LEAN Manufacturing
- Diversity Awareness
- Lock out, Tag out
- Scheduling people
- TPM (JIPM model preferred)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of Lean, 6S, and TPM
- Ability to reduce waste through continuous improvement of existing processes
- Technical acumen, with strong problem-solving & troubleshooting skills and mechanical aptitude
- Ability to lead in high stress situations
- Ability to take initiative to achieve results
- Ability to quickly make decisions and adapt to unplanned situations
- Self-starter, motivated and goal oriented. Able to demonstrate strong leadership skills.
- Strong listening and comprehension skills
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Good computer and Microsoft Office skills – PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, Word, Outlook
- Knowledge of safe work procedures
- Ability in leading, assessing, and developing talent to deliver results
- Utilize SAP for data entry
- Ability to organize and lead multi-functional teams to achieve plant objectives
- Ability to work extended / flexible hours/respond to calls to support 24/7 operation
- Operate a computer and other keyboard instruments
- Ability to differentiate between colors
- Ability to climb stairs
- Ability to sit / stand / walk for prolonged periods of time
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.