Field Technical Specialist
Location: Orlando, Florida - United States
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Roofing and Asphalt Product Field Technical Specialist acts as the product and field application technical expert for the business providing roof inspections, technical and application consulting to internal and external customers, training, written product application instructions, and assistance with warranty claim resolution. This individual will work closely with multiple stakeholders including, the Customer Response Team (warranty), S&T, marketing, legal, sales, manufacturing, and building science. This person in this role must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds and have the ability to carry a ladder. This position supports the Warranty Department and Inspection at the World Headquarters in Toledo, Ohio.
This role is one of four Field Technical Specialists, each with individual geographic responsibility across the United States. This role will support the Eastern Area, and based on the volume of work, the desired locations are: Orlando, Atlanta, Philadelphia/Pittsburg, or Charlotte.
Reports to: Roofing and Asphalt Field Technical Leader
Field Inspection (50%)
- Conduct on-site roof inspections on warranty claims. Provide thorough documentation and recommendations. Inspections include evaluation of all site condition impacting roof performance including ventilation and general construction quality.
- Provide inspection, evaluation, and documentation of workmanship for projects with OC workmanship coverage in support of the (Platinum & Preferred extended warranties) program
- Review and evaluate inspection reports provided by customers and third party providers.
- Maintain proper documentation on customer related claims
- Act as field representative/project manager on major claims
- In all activities be safe and be a leader for roof safety practices.
Technical Support (25%)
- Provide real time technical assistance to the Customer Response Team and call center
- Author letters & technical bulletins (certification, deviation, application & warranty exceptions)
- Handle incoming technical phone inquiries from customers and sales team.
- Provide technical support to marketing team for communications, trade shows, and product demonstrations.
- Work with contractors and customer response team to resolve job-stops and product acceptance issues
- Author written responses to code officials and customers regarding product use, application, and performance as required.
- Provide technical training to roofing contractors, sales, and customers and contractors.
- Develop presentations and curriculum focused on technical product & field application
- Conduct hands-on product application training for sales, business leaders, suppliers, contractors, customer service, & customer response teams.
New Product Development (10%)
- Provide input on new product development and product applications to assure that new products can be properly and easily installed in the field
- Write application instructions for new products and systems
- Education – Technical Degree Preferred (Engineering, Sciences or Architecture)
- Ability to safely access steep-slope roofs for inspection and/or forensic analysis
- Ability to travel 75% of time
- Experience – 10+ Years in the roofing industry. Preference is given to those with direct experience/knowledge of asphalt shingle installation and prescribed good roofing practices or substantial technical service experience in commercial roofing applications. Knowledge of low-slope roofing practices, installation, and detailing is desired.
- Building Materials Industry Knowledge - Is current with industry trends and the likely direction that codes and standards are moving towards for existing and new technology offerings.
- Experience in inspection of roofing warranty claims and written reports
- Bilingual in Spanish, preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Customer Orientation – has an external (outside-in) orientation and understanding that all business opportunities start with knowledge of how to create value for a customer.
- Self-starter – able to engage and execute work streams in an independent fashion with broad guidance and latitude.
- Adaptability – able to respond quickly to the demands of the moment. A flexible person who can stay productive when the demands of work pull in many different directions at once. Maintains effectiveness in a variety of environments.
- Communication - clearly conveys relevant information and ideas with confidence and in a manner that inspires the audience and ensures there is an understanding of the message. Seeks to understand others through active listening. Able to drive to resolution in conflict situations.
- Judgment – able to serve the needs of the customer while protecting Owens Corning interests through the application of technical knowledge and judgment. Knows when to engage others to resolve issues.
About Owens CorningOwens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.