Kearny, New Jersey, United States
Operator HelperJob ID 52703
Location: Kearny, New Jersey - United States
The purpose of the Operator Helper is to provide assistance as needed to the Operators in the asphalt production process. Good mechanical skills, basic computer skills (training available) and good team communication skills are required by the job. This job requires excellent self-direction working alone or in small teams with little direct supervision.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Notify your supervisor immediately of any accident, near miss or on- the -job injury when it occurs no matter how insignificant it may seem.
- Take personal ownership to work safely each and every day and hold other team members to the same high standards of safety.
- Fix unsafe conditions and report them immediately to supervisor.
- Certify and operate in all of the following areas: Truck Loading and Unloading and Boiler Incinerator. Required to train and obtain a Boiler Operator License from the State of New Jersey.
- Perform the administrative tracking tasks of data entry, BOL processing, production entry, receiving, and general organization.
- Be able to climb up to three floors of stairs, read panel displays, use operations manuals for troubleshooting, use full upper body movement for process, stand up to 12 hours with breaks.
- Become certified to operate a forklift.
- Attend and participate in meetings and training.
- Participate in projects and collaborate with Maintenance to facilitate equipment repairs
- Know and follow all plant environmental control policies and procedures.
- Meet team expectations such as reliability, teamwork, and process improvement. Maintain and improve productivity teamwork, quality and safety.
- Complies with good housekeeping practices on the job.
- Follows all environmental compliance polices & programs.
- Comply with all plant rules.
- Comply with safety regulations and maintain a clean and orderly work area.
- Regular Attendance on site and ability to rotate to varying shifts.
- All other duties as assigned or needed.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Good communication skills
- Accountability and ownership for actions
- Able to think under pressure and make quick decisions
- Ability to work well in a team or alone
- Able to communicate in English
- Ability to read a tape measure and do basic math
COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE COMPENTENCIES
The employee must be able to:
- Must be able to operate a computer or other keyboard instrument
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
The employee should have the following:
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent
- Manufacturing or Asphalt production experience is a plus
- Forklift knowledge useful
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The employee should possess the ability to:
- Ability to stand for 10 - 12 hours straight
- Able to climb and descend stairs for up to 12 hours continuously
- Lift and push and pull 40lbs. More than 100 times per day
- Able to do repetitive hand, arm, leg movements for 12 hours
- Must be able to squat, bend at the waist and knees freely
- Exposure to temperature extremes
- Exposure to sounds or noise levels that maybe uncomfortable
- Bending and twisting
- Handle, control or feel objects, tools or control
- Repetitive movements
- Able to climb on and off a forklift
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.