Kearny, New Jersey, United States
Asphalt Plant SupervisorJob ID 52695
Location: Kearny, New Jersey - United States
The Asphalt Front Line Leader is accountable to the Plant Leader for the continuous improvement of housekeeping, safety of plant personnel, environmental compliance, quality, and cost consistent with overall plant goals. The Asphalt Front Line Leader will develop and maintain an environment where employees work together safely to produce quality products and services that meets our customer’s requirements and maximize company earnings. The Asphalt Front Line Leader will act as coach, facilitator, and leader for the Operators to ensure proper production of all products.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take personal ownership to work safely each and everyday and hold other team members to the same exacting standards of safety.
- Notify the Plant Leader immediately of any accident, near miss or injury when it occurs no matter how insignificant it may seem.
- Handles all issues (EHS, Quality, Production, etc.) and conflict directly, honestly, professionally, and efficiently.
- Work closely with operators and maintenance in troubleshooting process problems.
- Approves and ensure appropriate reporting of work hours of direct reports in Kronos timekeeping system
- Provide excellent communications and planning.
- Comply with good housekeeping practices and insure work areas are clean and picked up.
- Follow all environmental compliance polices & programs. Assist in regulatory reporting as needed.
- Attend and participate in meetings and training.
- Achieve maximum throughput and efficiencies at the lowest possible costs, within prescribed quality levels.
- Maintain good working relationship with carriers while coordinating carriers for delivery of raw materials and pickup of finished product.
- Maintain a close partnership with the Plant Leader to implement site process improvements, improve product quality, and jointly work toward the achievement of site goals.
- Shift scheduling and posting.
- Schedule annual tank and fume line cleaning.
- Facilitate management of work request entry into SAP.
- Track quality and service incidents. Implement processes to eliminate repeat failures.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Professional & technical knowledge
- Working knowledge of production operations
- Safety & environmental knowledge
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving skills to ensure that issues, inconsistencies, and inefficiencies are identified and resolved in a timely manner
- Proven commitment to employee safety and health not only through own actions but by facilitating EH&S initiatives within the facility
COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE COMPENTENCIES
The employee must be able to:
- Good computer skills including Excel, Word, Outlook, Access, and web-based tools, Kronos, LMS system
- Experience with and working knowledge of SAP. Requires minimum abilities of being able to log into and navigate SAP for production order processing and other required duties.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
The employee should have the following:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalency required
- 1-2 years supervisory skills and experience preferred, preferably in a manufacturing environment
- Operations Knowledge in all the following areas (not all inclusive) strongly preferred: Boilers, Incinerator, Preheaters, Hot Oil system, Tank Burners, Truck Loading/Unloading, Railcar Unloading, Barge Unloading, Acid System, and Computer Control Operations.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The employee should possess the ability to:
- Ability to work for up to 8 hours in extreme hold/cold manufacturing environment
- Walk/Stand on concrete floors continuously for up to 8 hours
- Routinely ascend and descend stairs and ladders as work area requires
- Safeguard self with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) – steel toed shoes, ear plugs, eye protection, hard hat, gloves (glasses, goggles, and/or facemask) as necessary for task.
- Exposure to sounds or noise levels that may be uncomfortable
- Bending or twisting
- Ability to move up to 40 lbs without assistance