Kansas City, Kansas, United States
Instrument Technician-CJob ID 53325
Kansas City Plant
Job Title: Instrument Technician
Reports to: Electrical Supervisor
Supervises: Not Applicable
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Note: Owens Corning is offering an opportunity for non-industrial electricians who have been working in electrical construction to apply for this position immediately.The successful candidate who passes this interview, drug screening, and background check will have the opportunity to participate in a 15 week evening course college course at KC Community Vo-tech to gain the industrial electrician knowledge required to help gain success in this job.On successfully completing this training with satisfactory results, the successful candidate would then begin work at Owens Corning.
The Instrument Technician is an hourly position, and reports to the Electrical Supervisor. The employee is responsible for troubleshooting electrical/electronic industrial plant equipment.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works in a safe, efficient manner consistent with the duties of an industrial maintenance electrician.
- Has a working knowledge of the NEC and NFPA 70E codes and requirements for workplace electrical safe practice and procedures.
- Performs any electrical, electronic and instrument work regarding the diagnosis, installation, testing, and repair of electronic and solid state concepts (including, but not limited to, printed circuit boards, computer interface equipment, advanced scope and test equipment, transducers, AC VFD drive systems, DC Drives, and synchronous motor controls, programmable controllers, etc).
- Maintains, constructs, installs, repairs and calibrates any plant electrical, instrument, and metering equipment.
- Participates in the preventive and predictive maintenance program for any plant electrical, electronic and instrument equipment or control system.
- Performs original electrical/electrical layouts and circuit designs.
- Works from information obtained from engineering drawings, electrical diagrams, simple and complex sketches as well as other related documents and verbal field instructions necessary to perform assigned duties.
- Troubleshoots electrical, electronic and instrument systems.
- Completes Daily work records and activity reports.
- Participates in the safety and good housekeeping programs as established within the plant.
- Performs other related duties consistent with the nature of the job as directed by management.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Must be able to read electrical/electronic blueprints.
- Must be able to use different types of electrical meters associated with the task to troubleshoot electrical/electronic problems
- Must have the ability to multi-task
- Must be able to secure and maintain fork lift drivers license
- Has the ability to troubleshoot Hydraulic / pneumatic systems
- Has the ability to use, manage, and operate a CMMS (Computerized Maint Mgt System)
- Ability to run conduit as directed
- Ability to document changes in written formats
- Ability to read and understand PLC logic
- Must be able to plan and execute in written form a safe job plan utilizing electrical safe work practices
- Ability to install and set-up electrical power distribution devices including blade switches, circuit breakers, relays, etc.
COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE COMPETENCIES
The employee must be able to:
- Must be able to operate a computer
- Learn SAP, On-spec and Omnimac systems
- Read and understand PLC Logic
- Upload, Download and Save PLC Programs
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
The employee should have the following:
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent is required
- Possess valid forklift, and man lift driver certification
- Must be a US citizen or have the right to work in the US
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be drug and alcohol free
- Four or more years related experience in an industrial environment
- Certified electrician or equivalent experience
- Basic PLC programming/troubleshooting experience
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position requires:
- Exposure to extreme temperatures
- Exposure to extreme heat around furnaces
- Lifting/carrying/moving up to 50 pounds
- Bending, twisting and climbing ladders
- Regular attendance on site and the ability to work varying or rotating shifts
- Wearing respirator protection
- Participates in the Safety and good housekeeping programs as established within the Plant
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements.To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently.Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others.The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.