Granville, Ohio, United States
Product Development Scientist, InteriorsJob ID 53132
The Product Development Scientist is accountable to develop glass nonwoven facers for ceiling tiles to enable rapid growth of the North American Interiors business. Projects will be focused on delivering product solutions that maximize product performance, enhance quality and consistency and optimize the total manufacturing cost. This job will span customer needs definition, solution development at the lab/pilot scale, and implementation of technical solutions in the manufacturing plant. The position is located at the Granville, OH Science & Technology facility.
Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a market-leading innovator that has placed on the Fortune 500®. Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our three business segments while striving to ensure our people and products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. A holistic sense of community exists across our entire organization as our talent grows globally. We are a company that fully recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride within each and every employee, we aspire to build market-leading businesses; global in scope - human in scale.
Reports to: Global Nonwovens R&D Leader
Span of Control: none
Demonstrates a commitment to safety:
- Implement a personal safety action plan and review with leader.
- Ensure rigorous compliance to standard safety procedures and OC corporate policies.
- At ALL times, alert teammates of potential safety risks and stop unsafe behavior.
Lead key product development projects:
- Understand the glass nonwoven and coating process technologies in our manufacturing plants globally, with focus on the Gastonia (North Carolina), Aiken (South Carolina), and Apeldoorn (Netherlands) facilities. Develop nonwoven materials and coating chemistries that are compatible with OC’s manufacturing processes.
- Develop structure-property relationships between raw materials and end product attributes to establish a knowledge foundation that can be built upon for multi-generational technology development.
- Lead with the support of team resources a product development project managed through the Stage Gate process aimed at improving product performance, quality and/or cost from inception through industrialization and customer qualifications.
- Initiate & implement new testing methodology (applications mimics), enabling faster development and value quantification that our new solutions provide to our customers.
- Leverage lab support (Analytical, Mechanical and Modeling) to accelerate development and decision making.
- Connect globally with scientists in the other Nonwovens Innovation centers (Chambery, France; Apeldoorn, Netherlands; Gastonia, NC, US) to share knowledge and provide technical support.
- Highly organized and communicative when working with team members and peers
- Inspires and energizes team members to engage and foster team work despite no direct people leadership responsibilities
- Utilizes RPM project management tools for well-structured project execution
- Collaborates and fosters teamwork with the Global Nonwovens commercial team.
- Develops strong relationship with customers’ key technical representatives.
- Monitors technology in his/her area of expertise.
- Shares technical recommendations on technology trends with innovation leadership.
- Models curiosity and growth mindset.
- MS degree in Chemistry or Materials Science
- 4-7 years industry experience in R&D environment
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally at 30%
- Interest in working in both laboratory and plant environments
- PhD in Chemistry or Materials Science
- Ceiling Tiles product development
- Coating Formulation for Ceiling Tiles
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Fluent in English, any other language is a plus.
- Sound communication and technical documentation skills.
- Six Sigma certification (green or black belt) is preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as a member of a global team is a must.
- Teamwork Oriented: self-starter who works with minimal supervision and balances multiple assignments; works effectively across technical, marketing, commercial and manufacturing groups to ensure project success.
- Accountability: knows what needs to be done and gets it done. willingly takes responsibility for project outcomes as a whole. unafraid of owning the results, actions and decisions of self or organization. committed to follow through to completion.
- Judgment & Decision Making: recognizes issues, problems, or opportunities and determines whether action is needed. chooses appropriate action by formulating clear decision criteria and evaluates options by considering implications and consequences. implements decisions or initiates action within reasonable time.
- Ability to Influence and Lead: must be able to exert influence and leadership across the entire organization while holding little formal authority
- Calm under Pressure: able to maintain focus on priorities in dynamic environment with high demands for rapid execution.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.