Gastonia, North Carolina
Program Leader, Non-Woven S&T
Location: Gastonia, North Carolina - United States
The Non-Woven Science & Technology (S&T) North American Program Leader is accountable to lead the North American Gypsum innovation team of 5 talents and related technical/prototyping assets, owning the innovation portfolio for this market segment to deliver customer inspired solutions and growth of the business. The team is located at the Gastonia, NC production facility and Granville, OH Science & Technology Center.
As a member of both Composites S&T and Non-Woven North America organizations, this individual is expected to demonstrate teamwork and commitment to the success of Composites and Owens Corning. He/she is a recognized leader that demonstrates Owens Corning’s values and a commitment to high performance.
The position is located in Gastonia, NC and reports to the Global NW Innovation Leader located in Granville, OH.
Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a market-leading innovator that has placed on the Fortune 500®. Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our three business segments while striving to ensure our people and products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. A holistic sense of community exists across our entire organization as our talent grows globally. We are a company that fully recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride within each and every employee, we aspire to build market-leading businesses; global in scope - human in scale
Demonstrate daily commitment to safety
Ensure the right focus (personal & team) around Safety to achieve full compliance with company standards/guidelines.
Define an impactful Innovation strategy for the NA Gypsum market segment
The Non-Woven S&T Program Leader is accountable to define the NA Gypsum innovation strategy that will enable the NA Gypsum business to achieve financial Long Range Plan (LRP) targets and beyond.
- By partnering with marketing, commercial and operations teams, the S&T NW Program Leader will define capabilities and management systems needed to execute the business strategy in alignment with the Global Non-Woven S&T strategy.
- This Innovation strategy must cover both short- and long-term needs of the business and will be revisited every year after division strategic planning.
Effectively execute the NA Gypsum Innovation portfolio
- Collaborate: Partner with the NA Gypsum strategic marketing, sales and operations teams and customers at all stages of a project.
- Own your portfolio: Ensure the NA Gypsum innovation portfolio is business relevant and impactful (know your portfolio value and time for execution)
- Execute the portfolio: Effectively allocate the pool of technical talents to deliver project milestones by aligning with stakeholders on business priorities & impacts.
- Drive the portfolio through discipline: Execute projects at the right speed using Owens Corning’s Stage Gate process to reduce risk (IP, Product Stewardship, EHS, Sourcing, etc), make decisions and accelerate delivery of our business outcomes.
- Quantify Innovation value: Demonstrate through techno economics or prototyping the value proposition of OC products in customers’ final applications
- Make progress visible: Communicate progress every month. Present updates to Senior Leadership.
Build a healthy North American Gypsum innovation pipeline
Build and maintain a healthy pipeline of new technologies for the NA Gypsum segment that will deliver value for our customers and Owens Corning, by
- Continuously building insights and knowledge of key business customers (products, technologies, applications, competitors, codes & standards, etc.) - what is necessary for the customer to be successful, and the value that our current and future products deliver to the customer in solving their problems.
- Be a strong partner for NA Gypsum marketing and commercial leaders in building the pipeline.
- Build a customer focused team, where direct reports have a strong relationship with our customers, understand their business and take ownership of their success.
- Partner with the Front End of Innovation (FEI) team to evaluate new technologies.
- Establish/leverage external partnerships with research institutes, universities, consortiums, suppliers to develop new capabilities.
Leading and developing a team
Our people are our most valuable assets. Build a high performing team by creating a culture where all employees are challenged, growth is expected, and diverse views are welcomed:
- Lead an S&T team where every talent feels empowered to make an impact.
- Manage performance with timely, candid and actionable feedback on both performance and behavior.
- Challenge team members with performance and development objectives that stretch them to grow.
- Build a succession pipeline for critical roles.
- Define the talent competency roadmap to enable strategy execution.
Experience and Knowledge Requirements:
- A minimum of 7 years of experience within Science & Technology area and a minimum of 2 years management experience leading professionals (engineers & technicians).
- A strong background in chemistry or materials science and product development from inception to commercialization. Background in NW technology, coating, or construction materials is a plus.
- A proven track record in product development with close customer intimacy and ability to demonstrate product value through techno economics and competitive benchmark.
- Proven experience in managing a portfolio of projects using a stage gate approach.
- PhD in Chemistry or Materials Science is preferred, MS Degree is required from a well-regarded institution.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2017 sales of $6.4 billion and employs 19,000 people in 37 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.