Gastonia, North Carolina
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Technician is responsible for ensuring the production line runs efficiently with high product quality standards. The Technician is a key contributor to the continuous improvement of critical plant performance metrics in the areas of safety, productivity, cost, quality and sustainability. This role is essential to the successful start up of the Gastonia facility.
The Technician is an hourly position reporting to the Manufacturing Engineer.
- Lives the Owens Corning Safety Stand and meets all safety requirements.
- Participates in the safety, quality, TPM and housekeeping programs as established within the plant; including but not limited to Kaizen, Safety Committee, etc.
- Performs job tasks to reduce environmental impact and adheres to the environmental regulations and recycling procedures for waste disposal.
- Complies with all plant rules, safety regulations and job hazard analysis (JHA) requirements.
- Performs cleanup duties at equipment areas, workstations, etc.
- Performs core job duties in various production areas including:
- Binder Room
- Control Room
- Performs alternating production activities at various stages in the manufacturing process to ensure that product output is achieved in accordance with quality standards.
- Maintains an in depth knowledge of the manufacturing process, inputs and outputs (i.e. KMI’s in safety, quality, delivery, cost, and staffing).
- Analyzes and troubleshoots equipment and performance issues to ensure Operating Efficiencies (OE) and Job Efficiencies (JE) are achieved.
- Performs minor maintenance tasks on equipment to ensure optimal performance and increased uptime.
- Monitors the specific KPI’s/KAI’s required by the job; reacts to upset conditions and escalates when necessary.
- Maintains an uncompromising adherence to 5S standards; keeps the work area and equipment clean.
- Collaborates with team members and participates in team discussions to achieve the goals of the plant.
- Proactively makes suggestions/proposals to strive for continuous improvement of plant performance.
- Assists with the on-boarding of new employees.
- Trains other team members to perform job duties as needed.
- Demonstrates flexibility to perform various job roles within the manufacturing process as assigned.
- Provides relief to positions of prior qualification as required.
- Establishes goals, prioritizes and organizes actions, timelines and resources.
- Understands the needs of the customer and takes action to address those needs.
- Acts decisively and shows a strong sense of urgency to ensure follow through of established goals.
- Proactively identifies and participates in learning opportunities, and develops expertise in those areas.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Two year Associates degree in technical related field REQUIRED (or related – equivalent)
- Three or more years of relevant work experience preferred
- Experience in statistical process control preferred
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a US citizen or have the right to work in the US
- Must be drug and alcohol free
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
- Must be able to understand verbal and written instructions
- Must possess strong communication and organizational skills
- Must have the ability to multi-task
- Must have strong internal and external customer service skills
- Must work well in a team environment
- Must be self-motivated to work independently and meet targets
- Must be able to perform basic mathematical calculations
- Must have the ability to train and coach others
- Must have strong process acumen and high mechanical aptitude
- Must be able to operate a computer and the necessary software to successfully perform job responsibilities
- Must maintain schedule flexibility to ensure smooth production
- Must be able to secure and maintain job related qualifications and certifications as required by the nature of this position
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED TRAINING
- All annual safety and role specific training, as required by the nature of this position
ESSENTIAL PHYSIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Rotating shifts – days and nights, 12 hour shift
- Stand for extended prolonged periods during 12 hour shift
- Work overtime as needed
- Meet the physical demands of the work environment
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
About Owens CorningOwens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.