Denver, Colorado, United States
Sr Area Sales Manager - DenverJob ID 53502
The Owens Corning Building Insulation sales organization is seeking an Area Sales Manager to join the Residential sales team. This position is accountable to drive profitable sales growth for our customers and Owens Corning by providing customer inspired solutions while executing on Owens Corning sales and marketing initiatives for the Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming territories. One must reside in the Denver Front Range Urban Corridor or be willing to re-locate to be considered for this position.
The Area Sales Manager must establish and maintain existing relationships with customers in the territory and develop new customer relationships to meet our growth agenda. Product knowledge, application, building science, financial business acumen and the ability to develop industry / market knowledge and opportunity analyses are critical to help our customers be successful.
Knowing Our Customers (Driving Business Growth through deep customer knowledge and market understanding)
- Continuously builds intimate insight and knowledge of the market and customers within the territory, their business, what is necessary for the customer to be successful, and the differential value that our current and future products, programs and processes deliver to the customer.
- Understands what is necessary for the direct customer to be successful, generates measurable differential value from current and future products, programs and processes delivered to the customer.
Developing Territory Strategy
The Area Sales Manager will provide the following insights:
- An environmental analysis that includes:
- Economic impacts
- Market trends
- Competitor intelligence and strategies
- Clear needs of the customer and the customer’s strategy
- An analysis of competitors’ strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (Understanding of why the customer is buying from the competition).
- An analysis of external and execution risks and their potential impact on business segment results, including a risk mitigation plan with identified actions.
Execution – Delivering Results
The ASM will be a strong implementer of the division strategy for each of the products and solutions they represent and drive actions toward meeting their sales and margin goals. Specific activities include:
- Communicate with all major customers so customers know our strategic plans, how to position for market conditions, and build trust with the customers.
- Delivers on the plans for all segments; optimizes for Owens Corning and the customer
- Identifies and delivers differential value for OC and our customers
- Work directly with the Market Development Managers and Commercial Area Managers within the team. Key components of being the leader in the Building Insulation business is to convert builders, integrating all products and solutions into the insulation portfolio, understanding market dynamics and align with all team members to drive success.
- Develops and implements customer operating plans with a 3-year vision, as well as annual plans
- Continually seeks knowledge of the competition and ensures the information is fed back into the organization in a way that can shape action
- Manages margin through strategic price, actionable cost management, and effective negotiation using accurate and reliable reporting tools
- Through communication and behavior, advances our desired market role and positioning
- Recommends resourcing and funding decisions that maximize value for Owens Corning
- Identifies and develops process changes to eliminate waste/increase profitability for Owens Corning and our customers
- Makes the customer’s strategies known and relevant outside of sales; gets others in the game with them
- Establishes strong and productive customer relationships while ensuring customers meet their financial goals
- Communicates the full value that can be derived from each of our products, services, systems and solutions; individually and collectively
- Ensures a safe, clean and environmentally compliant work environment and builds a culture where safety is a first priority.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, engineering, or construction management
- Direct sales experience of 3 - 5 years preferred
- Experience in the building materials industry and a strong building science knowledge is preferred
- Experience effectively marketing, educating and selling new products and solutions; attracting new customers
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, tablets (i.e. I-pad or Surface).
- Formal building science or building performance training preferred (i.e. RESNET, BPI)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability to build strong customer relationships
- Possess excellent presentation skills, a strong customer focus, and the ability to manage change.
- Well-organized, self-starter with high work standards.
- Demonstrated ability to develop an intimate knowledge of customers, competition, and the market
- Ability to make persuasive product presentations by understanding customer’s needs.
- Negotiation skills
- Listening, fact gathering, developing conclusions, developing strategies / recommendation, and executing action plans
- Consistent in asserting themselves and willing to speak up to defend point of view.
- Approaches work with considerable energy and stamina despite distraction or unreasonable demands.
- Conducts himself/herself with the highest ethical and moral standards
- Strong organization and, specifically, deadline management skills
- Ability to understand and apply internal and external databases and sales tools.
- Works well cross functionally (i.e. marketing, sales, R&D)
- Applies continuous improvement to the sales process to improve business execution and results
- Demonstrated dependable ability to prioritize, follow-up and execute against multiple opportunities
- Makes decisions and commits to a course of action
- Shows appreciation for and understanding of the feelings of others, aware of personal impact on others, Expresses opinions without offending or creating defensiveness
- Demonstrates leadership within teams
- Ability to travel as business needs dictate - up to 2-3 overnights per week
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.