Concord, North Carolina, United States
Manufacturing Engineer/ Area LeaderJob ID 53300
The Manufacturing Engineer / Area Leader is responsible for performance and continued growth of the Concord manufacturing facility, including the safety of all employees, process optimization, and training and development. This leader strives to provide an environment for continuous improvement and target achievement for their team of responsibility and throughout the facility.
Reports to: Operations Leader
Span of Control: 8-12 Primary Employees
Living the Safety stand and adhering to safety responsibilities
- Ensures a safe, clean and environmentally compliant work environment, and builds a culture where safety is the number one priority.
- Maintains plant housekeeping expectations to ensure a safe plant environment.
- Reports and investigates injuries, first aids and near misses.
- Leads by example through hazard recognition and elimination
Leading and developing talent
- Engages team members to collaboratively own the success of the business by contributing to continuous improvement in the areas of safety, quality, cost, productivity, etc.
- Provides candid feedback on expectations and performance to members of the team on a regular basis, and drives appropriate actions for further improvement.
- Completes performance reviews as defined with each team member.
- Recognizes and rewards positive behaviors and contribution to critical plant performance metrics.
- Invests in the growth and development of team members and others to achieve sustained success.
- Implements and documents corrective action when performance issues occur.
- Effectively communicates critical plant performance metrics to team members daily to ensure engagement.
- Monitors and enforces all plant and corporate policies and procedures.
Delivery to Customer and Business
- Coordinates with upstream and downstream processes to meet production demands aligning people, raw material and machine capacities
- Performs root cause analysis in partnership with key stakeholders to address quality issues, and resolves those issues in a timely manner.
- Partners with the maintenance staff to ensure the efficiency of plant equipment.
Leads Continuous Improvement Activities
- Leverages standard work to minimize variation and waste.
- Leads focused Improvement activities to improve process capability and efficiencies, reduce costs, and eliminate waste.
- Partners with relevant stakeholders to optimize process and drive continuous improvement initiatives.
- Participates in and leads Kaizen and 5S events in various work areas throughout plant.
- Bachelor’s of Science degree required in Engineering or relevant degree preferred
- Minimum of 2 years leadership experience in a manufacturing environment
- Minimum of 2 years with demonstrated technical responsibilities/accomplishments
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated leadership in sustaining and improving plant safety
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the work processes and procedures on one or more production lines;
- Strong technical acumen
- Demonstrated success utilizing continuous improvement tools
- Demonstrated ability to assess performance gaps and coach for results
- Ability to make decisions quickly and adapt to unplanned situations
- Leadership skills – including ability to work well as part of a team and within a matrixed organization, strong verbal and written communication skills and good listening and comprehension skills
- Resolves conflict as needed
- Possesses strong interpersonal and communication skills
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.