Compton, California, United States
Material HandlerJob ID 48883
Location: Compton, California - United States
Job Title: Material Handler
Department: Roofing Production
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Material Handler is responsible for loading, unloading, and storage of granules, sand, MLA and finished product. The Material Handler is a key contributor to the continuous improvements of critical plant performance metrics in the areas of safety, productivity, cost, quality and sustainability. This role is essential to the successful operations of the Compton Roofing and Asphalt site. The Material Handler is an hourly position reporting to operations Front Line Leader.
- Lives the Owens Corning Safety Stand and meets all safety requirements. Working Safely is a condition of employment.
- Participates in the safety, quality, TPM and housekeeping programs as established within the plant; including but not limited to Focused Improvement Events, Safety Committee, etc.
- Performs job tasks to reduce environmental impact and adheres to the environmental regulations and recycling procedures for waste disposal.
- Complies with all plant rules and safety regulations.
- Performs cleanup duties in unloading area, warehouse, the yard and individual workstations.
- Inspects forklift daily by following forklift safety inspection checklist.
- Maintains neat, organized, orderly inventory of raw materials.
- Operates forklift in a safe, productive manner in accordance with all safety procedures.
- Fills LP tanks as needed following all safety procedures.
- Unloads inbound raw materials into main storage bins and mini bins and directs the material to appropriate storage location.
- Performs daily tasks following all safety guidelines including but not limited to chocking and locking when loading and unloading trucks.
- Reports and logs material movement.
- Completes daily raw materials inventory.
- Operates and stays current on warehouse storage areas and locations of all products.
- Completes all required paperwork for carriers and returns to appropriate department.
- Receives materials into SAP or other production/material tracking software package.
- Coordinates work with production and shipping Front Line Leaders to ensure raw materials staged in conjunction with most recent production and shipping schedules.
- Ensures all freight is loaded or unloaded in compliance with safety and operating procedures accurately and efficiently.
- Assists other shipping and production personnel as needed.
- Demonstrates flexibility to changing priorities as business needs dictate
- Establishes goals, prioritizes and organizes actions, timelines and resources.
- Understands the needs of the customer and takes action to address those needs.
- Acts decisively and shows a strong sense of urgency to ensure follow through of established goals.
- Identifies and participates proactively in learning opportunities, and develops expertise in those areas.
- Ensures standard operating procedures and processes are in place.
- Performs other related duties consistent with the nature of this position, as directed by the area leader.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Two or more years of relevant work experience preferred
- Forklift certification strongly preferred.
- SAP experience strongly preferred
- Basic computer proficiency required
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a US citizen or have the right to work in the US
- Must be drug and alcohol free
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must read, write and speak English
- Must understand verbal and written instructions
- Must possess strong communication and organizational skills
- Must multi-task
- Must have strong internal and external customer service skills
- Must work well in a team environment
- Must be self-motivated to work independently and in a group, and meet targets
- Must perform basic mathematical calculations
- Must have strong attention to detail
- Must train and coach others
- Must have strong process acumen
- Must maintain schedule flexibility to ensure smooth operation
- Must operate necessary software to successfully perform job responsibilities
- Must be able to think and work under pressure and analyze information to identify solutions
- Must have and execute with sense of urgency
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED TRAINING
- All annual safety and role specific training, as required by the nature of this position
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.