Compton, California, United States
Entry Level UtilityJob ID 47318
Location: Compton, California - United States
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Utility operator is responsible for providing production process support in several areas, including physically removing shingle bundles from the seconds conveyors, assisting with clearing jams in the Autocatchers, conducting visual quality inspections, and general clean up in several areas of the plant.
The Utility operator is a key contributor to the continuous improvements of critical plant performance metrics in the areas of safety, productivity, cost, quality and sustainability. This role is essential to the successful operations of the Compton Roofing and Asphalt site. The Utility operator is an hourly position reporting to the Front Line Leader on his/her assigned shift.
- Lives the Owens Corning Safety Stand and meets all safety requirements. Safety is a condition of employment.
- Participates in the safety, quality, TPM and housekeeping programs as established within the plant; including but not limited to Focused Improvement Events, Safety Committee, etc.
- Performs job tasks to reduce environmental impact and adheres to the environmental regulations and recycling procedures for waste disposal.
- Performs cleanup duties at workstations, etc.
- Feeds MSA kegs to melter.
- Feeds sealrite kegs to melter.
- Assists Auto-catcher Operator on catcher jams and on mat breaks.
- Cleans damaged shingles from floor, stacks them on pallets and keeps conveyors clear.
- Monitors temperature of the MSA melter and resets counter temperature.
- Relieves auto-catcher for lunch breaks.
- Rewraps bundles that need new wrapping.
- Fixes bundles on jammed pallets.
- Spreads tabs in tab container.
- Separates splices from bundles and throws splices away.
- Inspects visually production and takes corrective actions. Detects all defects, job changes and splices. Communicates to supervisor and team.
- Assists in repairing line breaks and lacing up the mat for startups.
- Assists wrapper operator in changing wrapper rolls and making splices.
- Trains to relieve machine operators.
- Stacks seconds from conveyor to pallets.
- Assists at the palletizer to restack pallets.
- Communicates to supervisor and leads any safety issues or problems that need to be addressed on the line.
- Communicates equipment problems requiring work orders and submits work orders.
- Demonstrates flexibility to changing priorities as business needs dictate
- Establishes goals, prioritizes and organizes actions, timelines and resources.
- Understands the needs of the customer and takes action to address those needs.
- Acts decisively and shows a strong sense of urgency to ensure follow through of established goals.
- Identifies and participates proactively in learning opportunities, and develops expertise in those areas.
- Ensures standard operating procedures and processes are in place.
- Performs other related duties consistent with the nature of this position, as directed by the area leader.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Two or more year of relevant work experience preferred
- SAP experience strongly preffered
- Basic computer proficiency required
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a US citizen or have the right to work in the US
- Must be drug and alcohol free
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must read, write and speak English
- Must understand verbal and written instructions
- Must possess strong communication and organizational skills
- Must multi-task
- Must have strong internal and external customer service skills
- Must work well in a team environment
- Must be self-motivated to work independently and in a group, and meet targets
- Must perform basic mathematical calculations
- Must have strong attention to detail
- Must train and coach others
- Must have strong process acumen
- Must have thourough understanding of product quality standards
- Must maintain schedule flexibility to ensure smooth production
- Must operate necessary software to successfully perform job responsibilities
- Must be able to think and work under pressure and analyze information to identify solutions
- Must have and execute with sense of urgency
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED TRAINING
- All annual safety and role specific training, as required by the nature of this position
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.