Location: Granville, OH – US
As part of the Corporate Science & Technology organization, and as a bridge into the business unit marketing and commercial organizations, the Senior Manager, Innovation Analytics and Strategy will develop Owens Corning’s capability in project and business case analytics and technical/economic evaluation to accelerate and prioritize the delivery of high impact innovation projects – both for profitable top-line growth and cost-takeout/productivity. Responsibility spans across Owens-Corning businesses including the Building Materials and Composites as well as select corporate initiatives.
The Senior Manager, Innovation Analytics and Strategy is responsible for providing strategic, market and economic analysis for innovation opportunities and taking a leadership role in scenario planning and strategy setting. He/ She will work closely with the Innovation Leadership Team, Strategic Marketing, Finance, Program Leaders, and Intellectual Property, and have exposure to senior management.
Specific responsibilities for Senior Manager, Innovation Analytics and Strategy include:
- Developing technical/economic analysis capability
- Assess existing techno-economic capability, then establish and communicate clear standards for practices and tools that will enhance performance
- Build a network of expert providers for these tools worldwide and educate the key stakeholders on techno-economics across organization
- Use world class modeling tools to perform scenario and financial analyses (including risk assessment) on Composites, Building Materials and Corporate sponsored projects
- Evaluate innovation opportunities and develop business case recommendations
- Develop robust business cases by: a) understanding market trends and drivers; b) defining customer needs and value of meeting those needs vs. competition; c) segmenting customers and focusing on target segments; d) articulating the marketing strategy for the target segment
- Partner with Business Unit and Technology leaders in the US and globally to effectively prioritize initiatives
- Directly support assessment of top priority business projects and select open-innovation business development initiatives
- Partner with the VPs of Innovation, market intelligence and innovation strategy team, financial analysts, and program leaders to contribute to business model development and financial modeling and ensure project milestones incorporate analytical insights and reflect biggest opportunities for high-impact, customer- focused results
- Engage in due diligence efforts
- Provide commercial and strategic assessment for new product introduction
- Identify and advise Innovation Leadership Team on innovation portfolio opportunities and gaps
- Present recommendations to Business Unit and Technology senior leadership (CEO, VP/GMs, Directors) teams
- Help generate new ideas/ opportunities to grow
Professional Experience and Qualifications
In this highly visible role, the Senior Manager, Innovation Analytics and Strategy must bring a strong combination of business expertise, innovation passion, and technical depth. He/She must bring a rigorous business orientation to the innovation process. Complementing this business acumen, the Senior Manager, Innovation Analytics and Strategy must bring a technical foundation and innovation mindset.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of five years of combined technical, strategy or related business experience. The ideal background is a mix of technical corporate and strategic management consulting experience, as well as a technical PhD, or technical masters degree in combination with an M.B.A. He/She must bring a strong understanding of the financial implications of new product development processes and use of technology as a competitive differentiator.
Specifically, the successful candidate should bring:
- Strong innovation / technical economic evaluation and financial skills
- Strong strategic marketing and business case analysis skills, able to translate market and technical factors into a business plan
- Experience conducting financial analysis / numerical methods.
- Ability to run scenerio analysis and develop market and financial forecasts
- Ability to perform financial analysis (NPV, IRR, payback, etc.) to help make rational business decisions
- A demonstrated aptitude for analytical thinking and insight - able to pull together various data sources into a holistic sum and generate insights that drive business actions with an external perspective.
- Strong problem-solving skills to structure and conduct analysis and to drive robust decisions
- Ability to influence senior management and multifunctional teams without a direct reporting relationship and serve a technical partner with the North American Businesses to evaluate market opportunities
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Proven ability to successfully direct business opportunities
- Ability to achieve set milestones and deliverables; execution and deadline focus
- Intellectual curiosity to learn, to ask questions
- Ability to take actions and implement effective solutions in a timely manner
The successful candidate will be a high-energy, creative, and resourceful self-starter who demonstrates leadership skills and instincts. He/She is highly intelligent and enthusiastic with a passion for innovation and bringing technical developments to market.
In terms of personal competencies, the successful candidate must be hands-on and possess the best combination of strategic thinking and drive to achieve tangible business results. Specifically:
- Results Oriented: Energetic, resourceful, with strong service orientation and positive can-do attitude. Fully committed to the job and to delivering outstanding work. Never satisfied with status quo -- continually striving for excellence
- Market Oriented: Has an external (outside-in) orientation and understanding that all business opportunities start with knowledge of how to create value for a customer
- Teamwork Oriented: Self-starter who works with minimal supervision and balances multiple assignments; works effectively across technology, marketing, and production groups
- Strong Intellect: Bright individual, with ability to combine analytical reasoning, creativity and judgment. Quick study, able to handle complex matters, with multiple initiatives going on simultaneously. Able to deal effectively with strategic issues, as well as operational details
- Change Agent: Comfortable designing for the future, while managing day-to-day processes. Able to anticipate risks and propose practical plans to mitigate them. Appreciates innovation’s integral part of the Owens Corning’s business strategy and lever for impact
- Strong Relationship Skills: The ability and desire to build relationships across different functions and levels of the organization
- Excellent Communication Skills: The ability to prepare and present gate reviews to business executives and across functional managers from marketing, finance, operations and sales
- Highly Ethical: Can be trusted to do only the “right thing” for the employees, shareholders, and customers
An advanced technical degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or similar is required. An M.B.A. and a technical Ph.D. is highly desirable.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning has touched your life in more ways than you know. From composites that make your car lighter, stronger and more efficient, to innovative roofing products and energy-efficient insulation, our products play a role in thousands of applications worldwide. Celebrating its 75th anniversary in 2013, Owens Corning is the market-leading innovator of glass-fiber technology with sales of $5.2 billion in 2012. A Fortune® 500 company for 58 consecutive years, our cutting-edge innovations continue to enhance lives and the communities in which we live, work and play. From our headquarters in Toledo, Ohio, we have a global presence with about 15,000 employees spanning 27 countries reaching across five continents. Discover Owens Corning opportunities that will transform your career today. Additional information is available at www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.